The Career Exploration Center (CEC) strives to provide a welcoming, inclusive space for all students. We value and embrace the ways that identity and culture intersect with the process of exploring majors and careers. We also recognize that individuals who hold underrepresented and marginalized identities often face systemic barriers on their path to success.
CEC advisors are here to listen to your story and help you make informed decisions that honor and celebrate your unique identities. Schedule an appointment with the CEC
Additional career development resources for students who identify with the following populations are available on the SuccessWorks at the College of Letters & Science Identity at Work page:
- Multicultural students
- Students with disabilities
- Undocumented students
- Veterans & service members
At the Career Exploration Center, we understand that immigration regulations and work-authorization restrictions can add to the challenges that international students face when considering major and career options. CEC staff are here to support you in your exploration and decision-making process.
Other campus offices provide excellent career resources for international students as well.
Below, find an overview of the services available to you through the CEC, International Student Services (ISS), and individual school/college career centers.
The Career Exploration Center can help you:
- Identify your values, interests, and skills
- Explore major and certificate options at UW-Madison
- Explore careers
- Connect your major to your career goals
- Find ways to get involved
International Student Services can help you:
- Understand how immigration laws, rules, and regulations affect you
- Maintain your visa status and benefits
- Determine eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
Your school/college career center can help with:
- Resume/cover letter reviews
- Job/internship search strategies
- Interview preparation and practice
- Tips on building your professional network
Request an extended hours appointment with a CEC advisor
We know that many UW students are living and learning all around the world and in different time zones, and all students are managing busy schedules. We want to ensure all students who are interested in meeting with a CEC advisor can do so.
Use this form to request an appointment outside of our standard operating hours (9:00am-4:00pm CST). Once you submit the form, a member of the Career Exploration Center advising team will respond within two business days and will work with you to find an appointment time that works for both you and your advisor.