Major Discovery Week
Virtual Major & Certificate Exploration
Every year, more than 100 departments, majors, and certificate programs from across campus gather in one place (this time virtually) to offer students the opportunity to learn about UW-Madison’s academic programs.
Staff and faculty are invited to represent their department to inform students about their programs.
Are you eager to learn more about majors? Wondering about certificate programs? Want to talk to people in the departments you are considering?
Join us for our virtual Major Discovery Week and browse, explore, and ask questions of departments, majors, and certificate programs from all eight undergraduate schools and colleges.
Major Discovery Week is a great place to start if you:
- Are undecided about a major and/or certificate
- Are torn between a few major/certificate ideas
- Already have a major and are curious to learn about certificates
- Want to connect with staff from majors and certificates that you are already a part of
Tips on how to make the most of Major Discovery Week:
- Review the list of majors and certificates in the Guide. For majors, you can search by your interest area(s), which can be less daunting than trying to navigate the entire list. Click on each major and certificate that interests you and read its description. Keep track of the majors and certificates that interest you most.
- Narrow your list to the majors and certificates you would most like to learn more about during Major Discovery Week.
- Research more about the majors and certificates on your narrowed list using the Guide and departmental websites.
- Keep an open mind! Even if you’re aware of some majors and certificates you want to explore, by staying open and curious you might discover something new and wonderful!
Consider what you want to ask departments during Major Discovery Week. Here are some example questions to get you started:
- What’s the best thing about this major/certificate?
- What do other students find interesting about this major/certificate?
- Do I have to apply and be accepted?
- When do students typically apply?
- How competitive is the application process?
- Are there any student organizations associated with this major/certificate?
- What would be a good first class to check out this major/certificate?
- Are there any certificates related to this major, in case I choose another major but still want to study this subject in some depth?
Major Discovery Week is an opportunity for academic programs and departments to connect with a lot of students in a short amount of time. For students who are exploring majors and certificates, it’s a great opportunity to meet you online and learn about the academic requirements and opportunities your department/program has to offer.
This event is also an effective way for your department to recruit students and promote your events. More than 700 students attended the previous event, the in-person 2019 Majors Fair at Union South. A record number of departments and programs participated from all eight undergraduate schools and colleges, representing nearly all UW-Madison majors and many of the certificate programs.