- Majors Fair General Information
- Majors Fair for Students
- Majors Fair for Staff
- 2017 Majors Fair Registration
2017 Majors Fair
Tuesday, October 24
Varsity Hall, Union South
Once in a year, in October, more than 100 departments, majors, and certificate programs from across campus gather in one place to offer students the opportunity to learn more about UW-Madison’s academic programs. Faculty, staff, and upper-level students are invited to represent their department and inform students about their programs.
Majors Fair for Students
Wondering about a major? Have questions? Want to talk to people in the departments you are considering? Come to the Majors Fair and browse, chat, explore, and ask questions of more than 100 departments, majors, and certificate programs from all eight undergraduate schools and colleges. Advisors from the Cross-College Advising Service (CCAS) will also be available to answer your questions.
The Majors Fair is a great place to start if you’re undecided about a major! You’ll have the opportunity to discover majors you haven’t yet considered, and to compare and contrast several majors at once.
Tips to Make the Most of the Majors Fair:
- Review the list of majors in the Undergraduate Guide. Click on each major that interests you and read the description of the major. Keep track of the majors that interest you most.
- Narrow your list to the majors you would most like to learn more about at the Majors Fair.
- Discover more about the majors on your narrowed list using the UW Guide and departmental websites.
- Keep an open mind at the Fair! Even if you know some majors you want to explore, take advantage of the opportunity to chat with other programs that aren’t busy. You mgiht discover something new and wonderful!
Consider what you want to ask at the Fair. Here are some examples:
- What interests you about this major?
- What do other students find interesting about it?
- What’s the best thing about this major?
- Do I have to apply and be accepted?
- When do students typically apply?
- How competitive is the application process?
- Are there any student organizations associated with this major?
- What would be a good first class to check out this major?
Majors Fair for Staff
The Majors Fair is an opportunity for academic programs and departments to connect with a lot of students in a short amount of time. For students who are deciding on a major, it’s a great opportunity to meet you and learn about the academic requirements and opportunities your department/program has to offer.
For departments, the Fair is an effective way to recruit students, clarify requirements, and promote events. Last year, more than 1,000 students attended the Fair and a record number of departments and programs participated from all eight undergraduate schools and colleges, representing nearly all UW-Madison majors.
The Fair is a good place for undecided students to start exploring a majors, discover majors they haven’t yet considered, and compare and contrast several majors at once.
Registration deadline: Friday, Sept. 29, 2017
Questions? Please contact Emily Sivesind-Finger (firstname.lastname@example.org)