Career Exploration Center (CEC) advisors are available to support undecided and exploring students. Students are able to meet with CEC advisors remotely through a phone or video appointment.
Beginning in October 2021, career advisors are available for in-person appointments as well!
How to schedule an appointment
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Step 1: Find appointment options
Appointment length options: 30 minutes or 1 hour
Appointment availability: Generally between 8:30 am – 4:30 pm CST
Appointment type: CEC advisors are available to meet with you via phone or video chat. Beginning in October 2021, career advisors are available for in-person appointments as well.
For phone appointments:
- Your Starfish confirmation email will contain instructions for accessing your appointment.
For video chat appointments:
- Your Starfish confirmation email will contain a link to your Zoom appointment. Click on the link to start your appointment.
- If you would like a 30-minute or 1-hour appointment but do not see that option available, it simply means your advisor has a conflict at that specific date/time. Please choose a different date/time to schedule your appointment, or look at another advisor’s calendar to schedule an appointment for your preferred length.
Looking for a place on campus to have privacy during your career advising appointments? Considering reserving a private space on campus by reviewing your options at this website: https://virtuallearning.wisc.edu/
Step 2: If needed, request an extended hours appointment
We know that many UW students are living and learning all around the world and in different time zones, and all students are managing busy schedules. We want to ensure all students who are interested in meeting with a CEC advisor can do so.
Use this form to request an appointment outside of our standard operating hours (9:00am-4:00pm CST). Once you submit the form, a member of the Career Exploration Center advising team will respond within two business days and will work with you to find an appointment time that works for both you and your advisor.
Step 3: Learn who you can meet with
You may choose to meet with a specific CEC advisor, or with whomever is available at your preferred date/time.
The CEC professional advisors come from a variety of educational backgrounds and life experiences. What they all have in common is a desire to help undergraduates who are exploring their major and career options.
Step 4: Schedule through Starfish
- If you are using Starfish for the first time, search “Starfish” in your MyUW page and add it to your dashboard.
- Select any available appointment time that works for your schedule.
- The appointment time will default to 30 minutes; however, you can also adjust your time and choose an hour-long meeting.
Career Advising Drop-ins
Have quick major and career advising questions? Busy schedule keeping you from booking an appointment? Join the Career Exploration Center for career advising drop-ins! Simply stop by our office at 114 Ingraham Hall and a career advisor will be available to chat with you.
Upcoming drop-ins from 9:00 am – 12:30 pm:
- Friday, November 5
- Friday, November 12
- Friday, November 19
More Career Resources
Unsure of where to start your major exploration process? Find a list of majors separated by interest area and frequently asked questions.
If you're looking for help with resumes, cover letters, job or internship searches, and/or interview preparation, schedule an appointment with the career service office for your specific academic school or college.