CEC Office Peer Position – APPLICATION CURRENTLY CLOSED
The Career Exploration Center is the leading campus resource for UW-Madison undergraduates who are looking to explore major and career options. Our office provides a variety of tools to help students examine their interests, values, strengths, and skills, so they can make informed decisions about their major and career paths. CEC Office Peers work in a dynamic environment with the primary goal of supporting the daily operations of the office. CEC Office Peers also play a significant role in representing the CEC at various outreach and programming events across campus. Compensation starts at $10.50/hr.
Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Justice:
At the CEC, we respect, value, and celebrate the diversity of all UW-Madison students. We strive to make every student feel welcome, safe, and included. By committing ourselves to supporting and advocating for students of all identities, we hope to help foster a healthy campus environment where students can explore their interests, make decisions about majors and careers, and reach their full potential.
We invite, welcome, and encourage applicants from across all ages, genders, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, abilities, cities/states/countries of origin, and academic interests to apply.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
- Current degree-seeking undergraduate student
- At least one semester at UW-Madison in progress at time of application
- Continuing student status for the Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 semester
Students eligible for hire will demonstrate an interest in developing:
- Strong interpersonal communication, listening, and customer service skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and problem-solve in the moment
- Willingness to learn, ask questions, and seek information
- Interest in interacting with students and supporting career advising staff
- Commitment to creating an environment that supports underrepresented students
- Ability to self-reflect and grow from feedback
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Complete administrative tasks such as scheduling appointments, answering phones, and other projects as assigned
- Provide excellent customer service to all guests who enter the CEC space, including students arriving for appointments or using the open study space, staff utilizing the space for workshops/presentations, etc.
- Assist students in navigating and using CEC resources such as the career library, online workshop registration, career assessments, events, etc.
- Represent the CEC at outreach and programming events, which includes hosting resource tables, participating in CEC promotional events, and co-facilitating workshops
- Participate in ongoing trainings
Training will begin in late March and last through the end of the spring 2020 semester. The position will resume in early September. Summer hours may be available and can be discussed further if interested. CEC front office peers can expect 5-8 hours/week, within the hours of 8:15am-4:30pm Monday-Friday.
Applicants must be able to attend the following training dates:
- Monday, March 30 from 5:00-7:00pm
- Tuesday, March 31 from 5:00-7:00pm
- Wednesday, April 1 from 5:00-7:00pm
- Tuesday, April 7 from 4:30-6:00pm (all staff dinner)
- Friday, August 28 from 8:30am-4:30pm
Resume & Cover Letter Resources
Writing a resume and cover letter can be a daunting task, and you may not know where to begin. Your campus career services offices can help! Each school and college has their own career office that will review your resume and cover letter, as well as provide interview tips.
You can find your office information here: https://careers.wisc.edu/students/.